Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tan and Black Large Print Houndstooth Tops

You will quickly come to know that I am in LOVE with houndstooth and leopard print. I feel like it's become quite the little obsession since I've began sewing. it's even rubbing off on Beauty Bug. She'll notice those prints when we're in the store rather quickly. So when I found this tan and black houndstooth fabric at Hobby Lobby, I knew we had to have it. we had to have all of it. If my husband only knew...Hahaha! I decided to make a sleeveless sweater mini dress for Beauty Bug, and an off the shoulder double peplum top for myself.

Beauty Bug's sweater dress was quite easy to draft. I literally took a shirt from her dresser and traced it onto the fabric. I made sure to trace it about an inch bigger for seam allowance. Some people do less than that, especially on knit fabric, but I chose an inch because it's much easier to take a garment in, than to let it out. I added a couple inches to the length of the shirt to make the sweater mini dress, and I also added a bow and band on the front of the dress for a decorative element.




 I used Simplicity pattern 1613 for the top, and I self drafted the double peplum on this shirt. For those who need a little hep in that arena, Mimi G Style has an awesome tutorial on how to make this exact top. I didn't actually use her tutorial, because I am now in a place where I can make a top like this on my own, but her tutorials are so AWESOME!! They are very easy to follow, and on a lot of them she teaches you how to make your own patterns so you can make items time and time again. The black straps on my shirt are not a part of the top. It's a black tank top that I wore to keep my bra straps from being so obvious.



I do have more plans for this fabric because I have more left over. I'm sure it'll make another appearance on the blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment